Founded in 2004, SiteGround is an independent web hosting company that has its roots in Bulgaria. Having expanded so much in recent years, today, you’ll find SiteGround serving customers globally. When you think of SiteGround, you’ll realize that they’re positioning themselves as a company that is into providing ‘well-crafted’ and ‘high-quality’ web hosting solutions.
Here is what we found upon reviewing SiteGround on various parameters:
Shared Web Hosting
With SiteGround you’ll not get month-to-month shared hosting plans. However, what you get with this provider is a one-month trial with a small one-time setup fee ($24.95). Else, you need to select between one-, two-, or three- years contracts. Furthermore, SiteGround lets you choose between three data centers to have your website hosted – Singapore (Asia-Pacific), Amsterdam (Europe), and Illinois (United States).
In choosing the most basic Linux-basic StartUp plan, customers stand to receive 10GB of storage, one website, unlimited emails, ability to handle up to 10,000 unique visitors a month, security service CloudFlare, and unlimited Web performance support. All this can be had for as little as $9.95 a month.
Next in the line is the GrowBig plan that can be had for $14.95 per month. Inthis plan, you’ll get 20GB of storage, support for a large number of websites, unlimited e-mails, ability to handle up to 25,000 unique visitors a month, ability to keep up to 30 backups, CloudFlare support, and one year free SSL certificate.
If your requirements are huge, you can consider opting for the GoGeek plan that comes with a price tag of $29.95 a month. This plan is suitable for hosting large and dynamic websites and comes with 30GB of storage, unlimited emails, and support for up to 100,000 unique visitors a month, a free SSL certificate for a year, CloudFlare support, a Git repository, and ability to keep up to 30 backups.
Though VPS hosting
is no longer available with SiteGround, what it does have is Cloud Hosting. The best part of this hosting plan is that it has the ability to scale up automatically whenever there is a surge in web traffic. Also, customers get to choose from 4 different plans with the most basic plan costing you $60 and come with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, 3GHz CPU, 5TB of monthly data transfers, and 20GB of storage. The maximum plan will require you to shell out $140 for 80GB of storage, 4GB OF DDR3 RAM, 5TB of monthly data transfers, and 3GHz CPU.
Dedicated Web Hosting
The Dedicated server plans that SiteGround has to offer gives you lots of choices in terms of CPU, RAID, storage configurations, and RAM. The plans start out from $229 per month for an Entry Server and extend up to $429 a month for an Enterprise Server. Another good thing with these plans is that you can easily configure your server with up to 16GB of RAM, 5TB of monthly data transfers, and 2TB of disk space.
As with other web hosting providers, SiteGround has woken up to the demand for WordPress Hosting and is going an extra mile in overseeing your installation works. Thanks to this approach of the provider, you are sure to get optimized WordPress hosting services that will come along with enhanced security, automatic content management system updates, staging, page caching, and automatic daily backups. SiteGround’s WordPress plans also offer you a free account transfer, a free domain name, and one-click installation.
Setting up a Website
Website Builder may be absent in SiteGround. However, what it does have are helpful wizard-based tutorials and walkthroughs. When you log into your account, the first thing that will come across you is the control panel. You can use the features available here to create a website. The service provider having streamlined its hosting process lets you install its software in as little as five minutes.
There are quite a few options available to you within e-commerce software if you wish to build an e-commerce website with SiteGround. To get access to various platforms like Magento, CSCart, and PrestaShop that are required to construct your website, all you need to do is go to the control panel and find them under AutoInstallers. Else, there is an option to select between options like Axis, OpenCart, Showare, and ZenCard by clicking the Softaculous option.
There are many security options SiteGround offers to you. For example, for just $1 per month, you’ll get HackAlert Monitoring, IP address blocklists, hotlink protection, and antispam tools like SpamExperts and SpamAssassin. Then there’s a special feature called Leech Protect that helps administrator prevent website users in revealing passwords on their platform. To get an SSL certificate, however, users need to upgrade to the Grow plan.
One of the most important aspects of web hosting services is uptime. It is only when your website is up and running always that your website users will be able to access your services and products. When your site is down most of the times then your business could get adversely affected.
During our testing period, we used a website monitoring tool over a two-week period to test SiteGround’s uptime. The data that we received at the end of the test convinced us that the service provider is quite stable.
SiteGround takes its customer support features and services quite seriously and this is why you’ll find them providing different channels to serve you. Among many things you’ll find with SiteGround are tutorials, knowledgebase articles, and wizards. For getting your queries addressed, there’s 24/7 phone support, live chat, and a ticket-based system in place.
SiteGround has a 30-day money back guarantee, just in case you’re not comfortable with their services or something goes wrong in the initial phase of your association with them. However, for this, you need to contact their customer support.
1. In choosing SiteGround as your hosting partner, you can be sure of getting 99% uptime and therefore, your website should be up and running almost all the time. The only time you may find it a bit sluggish is when SiteGround decides to go about its maintenance works or upgrading its servers.
2. Given that the most basic and popular shared hosting plan is available for just $9.45 a month; it is quite affordable choosing SiteGround’s hosting services. Furthermore, the provider gives 50% discount to new users time and again making it even more affordable. Though these offers are available for only this plan, it will not cost much in selecting other hosting plans.
3. SiteGround is a reliable and experienced hosting provider that will assure you of using cutting edge technology in ensuring your website’s protection against all kinds of hacking activities. As soon as you log in and are taken to cPanel, SiteGround’s services will take you through its secured and encrypted server so your website and its data are safe at all times.
4. Customer support features and services are excellent with SiteGround. Having been in the industry catering to the needs of thousands of customers, SiteGround certainly knows how to serve them. This is why you’ll find their support staff friendly, experienced, and willing to serve you anytime.
1. Free trials are not available with SiteGround. Many new users feel the need to have free trials to know their web hosts better. It is only this way they can be sure of finding out whether the host can meet their requirements or not. Unfortunately, SiteGround doesn’t have any free trials on offer, at least as of now.
2. Though website transfer services are available with SiteGround, there are certainly not as good as with other service providers on the market. In fact, a majority of customers complain of a long time taken by them to have their websites transferred to SiteGround.
3. There are limited features available on the most basic plan of SiteGround. For example, in choosing the StartUp plan, users will only get 10GB of storage space and support for only one website.
SiteGround has, through its variety of features and services, has positioned itself in the market has one of the leading hosting providers for small businesses. Thanks to its incredibly easy to use features and excellent support services, it is suitable for mom-and-pop stores, independent businesses, and sole proprietors as a majority of them do not have skills and time to set up complicated and big websites all by themselves.
Another aspect that SiteGround has taken quite seriously is its security features, especially to cater to the needs of its thousands of small businesses. SiteGround understands that small businesses are most vulnerable to all kinds of attacks, including denial-of-service attacks and malware. Given that SiteGround handles all these and a lot more for small businesses makes it an automatic choice for many.